Average Cost to Develop an App for iPhone Android
For any person who wants to make a mobile app, it is the basic question to know about how much it would cost to develop an application either it is for Android, iOS or any other mobile operating system. For general users, it might seem a simple question to answer, but the developer knows about those other factors that need consideration for calculating the exact cost of developing any mobile application.
Just take out the examples of including complexities involved in development, developing an operating system (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc.), a method of development and much more.
A survey to different application programmers reveals that the normal expense to build up an application can cost $6,453. Another study reports that adding to a “little application” can cost $3000 – $8000. More complex applications can cost anywhere in the range of $50,000 to $150,000!
I guess you must be clearing your throat by swallowing the thought of such an expense. It is a ton of cash. However, we should separate it. The normal application designer in the US charges around $100 an hour. The more mind-boggling the application, the additional time needed to make it which implies a higher bill by the day’s end.
Before hiring a developer, you should have a clear idea about what you want to be developed. This may seem like a given, but I’ll spell it out just in case. If you want your app to stand apart from the other 500,000 in the app store, you’ll have to consider:
- Incorporation with a back-end database
- Development on cross platforms (iPhone, Android, BlackBerry)
- Animation and Designing
- Kind of Version (free, paid, or something in the middle)
This article is of great help for those who are planning making a mobile application.
Factors to Consider When Costing Mobile App Development
Developing an app is just like developing a product or buying a product. The cost of the app depends on the details you want into your app. Here are some factors or questions that need to be answered first:
What Kind of App?
- Cross-Platform/Hybrid Apps – Hybrid or cross-platform applications are developed using a combination of native and web technologies. These are capable of running on more than one operating system.
- Native Mobile Apps – These are traditional apps that run on more than one operating system. These are expensive as compared to other apps.
- Progressive Web Apps – PWAs is the latest technology by Google. These are the mixture of mobile and web apps and offer more flexibility and accessibility. Developing these involve some cost but due to less coding, are cheapest because developing for other platform involve little cost.
What Kind of Functions?
That is the other question need to be answered carefully. Factors in this area are:
- Simple Apps – If the app is simple and offers one basic function then its cost will be low.
- API/Database Apps – If app contains the features of synchronization between multiple platforms, needs users to create an account, store users data, etc. then more complexities will be involved that means more cost.
- Games – As compared to simple apps, games are difficult to develop, and their prices change
- Enterprise/Multi-Featured Apps – The apps containing multiple features are complex to develop and needs more cost. However, overall cost based on the scope of the development project.
Here are some additional features that also need consideration. Point to remember here is that the more features you will add the cost will increase. Here are some of the features that also involve cost:
- Social Integration – Integrating social media features will boost both app’s cost and app’s growth.
- Email Login – It is although a simple feature but input more in marketing efforts. It also involves cost.
- Social Login – It is a new means for registering with the application. Different means of login are Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.
- Synchronization Data Across Devices – It is one of the most expensive features for any application. Synchronizing the application for multiple devices also involve cost.
The other important factor in the cost of any application is who will develop it. Merely going for the cheapest solution is not the answer at all because it involves a higher risk of failure too. The several developers available in the market are freelancers, offshore teams, technical co-founder and established app development company. All of these have positive and negative aspects.
- Freelancer – Low-Medium Cost, High Risk
- Outsourced – Low Cost, High Risk
- Technical Co-Founder – Equity, Medium Risk
- Development Company – High Cost, Low Risk
It is the most important factors that is often overlooked by most of the users. Once the mobile app is developed does not means patting yourself on the back. Maintenance plans and after development cost needs consideration. This factor must also be the part of the overall developing strategy.
Final Cost Figure
After considering above mentioned factors and some others, here is the cost of any mobile application from minimum to maximum.
- Simple App – Minimum $ 8,000
- API/Database App – $10,000 to $50,000
- Enterprise/Multi-Featured App – $50,000 to $150,000
- Game App – $5,000 to $250,000
Additional Costs (Subject to Number of Features)
- Email Login – $2,000 to $8,000
- Social Login – $2,000 to $3,000
- Social Integration – $2,000 to $15,000
- Rating System – $5,500 to $20,000
- User Profiles – $7,500 to $9,500
- In-App Purchases – $5,500 to $15,000
- Geo-Location – $7,500 to $17,000
- Synchronizing Data Across Devices – $5,500 to $7,500
- Visual Design – Minimum $5,000
- UX Design – $10,000 to $25,000
- Icon and Branding – $2,500 to $10,000
- Copywriting – $1,000 to $5,000
Overall Cost of Developing Mobile Application
Base App – $50,000 to $150,000
Add: Extra Features – $15,000 to $75,000
Add: Design – $10,000 to $30,000
Add: Business Costs – $35,000 to $50,000
Minimum Cost (Total) – $110,000
Maximum Cost (Total) – $305,000
If you are interested in developing mobile application for your company, product or brand then it is important to consider all those factors that are in fact the important elements for determining the cost of any mobile application. The more the features the higher the cost; that is the simple rule to remember when determining the cost of any type of mobile app.
If you have an app idea and want to know how much will it cost, Contact team CitrusBits, and we will provide you with a free quote and consultation and the other aspects to bring your idea into life.